Java - Sumatera 9D/8N
Day I – South Africa/Jakarta
The excitement is high as we board our overnight flight from South Africa to Jakarta, Indonesia, for an unforgettable journey that matters.
Day II – Jakarta (meal included: Dinner)
We arrive in Jakarta and transfer to our hotel. The rest of the day is yours to enjoy at leisure. We end our day by having Indonesian cuisine at the hotel restaurant. Overnight: 4-star accommodation in Jakarta city centre.
Day III – Jakarta (meals included: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)
After a leisurely start to our day we head for lunch at one of the local restaurants. From here we will visit the old harbour in the northern part of Jakarta, Sunda Kalapa. The port thrived on the international spice trade especially pepper. It was one of the few Indonesian ports that maintained ties with Europe. Today the old port only accommodates pinisi, a traditional dual mast wooden sailing ship delivering inter-island freight services in the archipelago. Then we head to Fatahillah Square located in the old town, where we can see some old buildings influenced by the Dutch style; also home to the Jakarta History Museum, Wayang Museum (puppetry) and Fine Art and Ceramics Museum. On the way back to our hotel, we will be passing the Presidential Palace and National Monument with its impressive fire torch gilded in almost 40 kilograms of gold. Overnight: 4-star accommodation in Jakarta city centre.
Day IV – Jakarta/Medan/Samosir Island (meals included: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)
We leave early in the morning to catch our flight to Medan, North Sumatera. We will have our lunch at a local restaurant before driving to Parapat – a famous mountain and lake resort on the east shore of the immense volcanic Toba Lake. En route, we will pass several small towns and some vast views of rubber and palm oil plantations and paddy rice terraces. On arrival in Parapat, we will board the local public ferry to Samosir Island, an island in the middle of Toba Lake. Dinner will be served at the hotel. Overnight: a non-AC hotel in Samosir Island.
Day V – Samosir Island (meals included: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)
After breakfast, we start our day by exploring Samosir Island. We will visit the Tomb of King Sidabutar and Batak Toba Village at Tomok. Then make a stop at Ambarita, a traditional village with ancient megalithic furniture in front of the traditional houses and also visit the Village of Simanindo to watch a folk dance performance of the Batak Toba people. We end our day by enjoying traditional dishes at our hotel. Overnight: a non-AC hotel in Samosir Island.
Day VI – Samosir Island/Parapat/Brastagi (meals included: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)
After a leisurely start we board the public ferry to Parapat heading to our destination Brastagi via the Ring Road of Toba Lake. En route we’ll pass some pine tree plantations, experience the magnificent scenery of Lake Toba and a few fertile vegetable and fruit farms. Lunch will be had in Brastagi at a local restaurant. After lunch we will visit the ancient King’s Palace of Simalungun at Pematang Purba. We also visit the slender Sipiso-piso Waterfall which drops from hundreds of meters high into Lake Toba. We end our day by enjoying Indonesian cuisine at our hotel. Overnight: 3-star accommodation in Brastagi area.
Day VII – Brastagi/Medan (meals included: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)
After breakfast, we will explore the fruit market of Brastagi before heading to Medan through the lush tropical rain forest of Sumatera. Along the way, we will stop at Taman Alam Lumbini, to visit a Buddhist temple based on the Shwedagon Pagoda in Myanmar. On arrival in Medan, we’ll enjoy lunch at a local restaurant before continuing to Vihara Gunung Timur (the temple of East Mountain), a Chinese temple with its unique characteristics and Maimoon Palace, home to the old Deli Sultanate. We end our day by having dinner at our hotel. Overnight: 4-star accommodation in Medan area.
Day VIII – Medan/Jakarta/South Africa (meals included: Breakfast)
After breakfast we will head to Medan airport for our transfer to Jakarta. Sadly it is time for us to leave Toba Lake Expedition and board our overnight flight from Jakarta to South Africa.
Day IX – South Africa
We arrive in South Africa.
- Additional peak season surcharges, compulsory dinners and special conditions may apply during peak seasons.
- The tour price is a guideline only and based on two persons travelling together, sharing a double or twin room.
- Single travellers who are not willing to share a twin room will have to pay the single supplement.
- Tour and airfare prices include all applicable taxes and are subject to change without prior notice until services are booked.
This tour includes the following:
- Domestic flights as mentioned in the itinerary.
- Domestic airport taxes where applicable.
- Accommodation as per the itinerary with daily breakfast.
- All meals as mentioned in the itinerary – 5x lunches and 6x dinners.
- Private tours, transfers and all services as mentioned in the itinerary.
- Services of a private driver in an air-conditioned vehicle.
- Return public ferry ticket to Samosir Island
- English and Indonesian speaking guides.
- Entrance fees for all mentioned sites visited:
- Sunda Kalapa Harbour
- Batak Toba Village
- Ambarita Village
- Simanindo Village
- Taman Alam Lumbini
- Vihara Gunung Timur
- Maimoon Palace
- All parking fees.
- Daily bottled drinking water in vehicle.
Not included in this tour:
- International flights.
- Passport and visa fees and service charges for obtaining visas (all South African Nationals are exempt of any visa fees for 30 days to Indonesia).
- All additional travel to and from Cape Town/Johannesburg (local, international & domestic connecting flights) that does not form part of the tour itinerary.
- Excess baggage charges levied by airlines.
- All meals and beverages not specified in the itinerary.
- Early check-in and late check-out at hotels.
- Personal expenses (such as laundry, telephone, drinks, mini bar at hotel etc.).
- Personal travel and medical insurance.
- All service gratuity for restaurants, drivers, guides, porters etc.
**Contact us for tour date availability and rate
***Images used are generic and are not representative of your booking